project obsession...

A few months ago I broke down and bought my first pattern on Ravelry. Its a baby sweater... suprise... The pattern is so clever and cute and knits up quickly...its just perfect!



I have made 4 of them so far and each time I get a little better at perfecting the teeny things about a project that no one usually notices. I have, in my opinion, perfected my technique for provisional cast on and kitchenering the hood... and have even managed to start the sleeves without creating giant holes in the armpits of the sweaters!


I tried three different methods for provisional cast on and absolutely by far THE best method can be found HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWfea8oOH8

Using a crochet chain as a base to hold the provisional stitch beginning is much better than using a spare circular needle or plain peice of thread. It holds the stitches well and evenly without being overly bulky or inflexible. Most importantly it keeps the project looking pretty and tidy as we know... noone wants to knit a sloppy ugly project... its the sloppy ugly ones that get thrown to the back of the U.F.O.( Un-Finished Objects) Closet.


Kitchenering; however, is a whole 'nother problem in itself... every time I have to kitchener the hoods of these sweaters together I have to watch the instructional video again.... and again... and again. I did finally figure out how to make the kitchener look like purl stitches. this really helps to blend the brim of the hood into the rest of the project without making a funny looking flat seam front in a very visible area of the project.

In reality... the best thing about the pattern is that even though I have made it over and over again in different sizes I still love the pattern, learn something new about knitting every time and don't get bored while knitting it up.

Pictures later!

0 comments: